Monday, December 20, 2010

Delicious or acceptable?


Since the last time I posted here Kate and I have decided that we won’t be using Old Spaghetti Factory as our caterer.  We both want to showcase our California roots and Kate and I want our Oakland wedding to reflect our commitment to the local community.  We also care deeply about supporting local businesses and using local food.  OSF, a large corporation that doesn’t use locally sourced foods, doesn’t exactly meet these expectations, so we decided to nix the delicious browned butter and mizithra

I was surprised by people’s overwhelmingly negative reactions to OSF.  While Arizmendi’s (another catering choice we’re considering) was funky enough to pass the more traditional foodie inspectors, people though OSF was unclassy.  Comfort food – the theme for the reception food – is not, evidently, “acceptable wedding food”.  These criticisms don’t come from my family – whose opinion I deeply cherish – but often from people I don’t know exceptionally well and aren’t necessarily on the invite list.   

And really, who cares?  Most people aren’t going to remember the food anyway.  And I’ve had “acceptable wedding food” - half the time it only looks beautiful, and tastes disgusting.  I care what the food looks like, sure, but it also has to taste Oh My Goodness good.  And, afterall, this is a party Kate and I am throwing to celebrate this great union.  I never though it was very classy to tell someone else how to throw a party, anyhow.  Or maybe it is.  I've never really understood Ms. Manners, despite my  mom's attempts to civilize me.

No comments:

Post a Comment